Monday, July 07, 2008

July 4th Weekend...

...Was spent at the beach in Oceanside, one of my favorite places to go. My wife's parents have a condo about 50 yards from the sand on the second floor, so there's a nice view and we can watch all the fascinating folk cruising up and down Pacific Avenue.
Friday started out cloudy with a marine layer that burned off in the late afternoon for a brief spot of sunshine, but by 7 or 8pm it had come back with a vengeance.
The condo is about a mile south of the pier where they have the annual firework display and is normally a good spot to watch it, but by the time the show started, we couldn't see down the block, let alone the pier. It was so thick you couldn't even see a glow - but we heard the show, right on schedule...
I had such a good time there that this didn't dampen my spirits at all - I was more amused than disappointed. Hanging out with family and watching my kids boogie board was way more important...

6 comments:

DirtCrashr said...

Sounds very nice!! At least the water is warm enough that you don't have to wear a wetsuit! :-)
The heat is coming back here climbing into the 90's and the smoke from the fires is making the air impenetrable.

Kevin said...

I feel for you, man. Wildfires really suck, and we get more than our fair share out here in CA.

Julie said...

Ok ok...I know from personal experience how awesome your in-laws beach condo is...but...you seriously missed out big time this year in the Sierras. Don't flake out next year!

~Fathairybastard~ said...

Sounds wonderful. Coolness.

phlegmfatale said...

i have a picture of me and my Jack Russell Valentine on the beach in winter at Oceanside. Lovely place. Good memories.

Rhi said...

had a blast! thanks for making it special for izzy and i...DQ yeah!