Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hanging With The Cool Kids

Gun Blogger Rendezvous was the very first time I had the opportunity to meet the people behind so many of the blogs that I've been reading these past few years. I have to admit, I was more than a little apprehensive - yet excited - walking into Silver Baron Room E for the first time - somewhat like a tween at a Justin Bieber concert, I imagine.
However, I was made to feel very welcome, although I didn't talk much the first night - just listened to the various conversations. After all, it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt, right?
I had the pleasure of meeting Kevin Baker, Joe Huffman, Davidwhitewolf, Chris Byrne, The Packing Rat, TrueBlueSam, Ry Jones, USCitizen, Olav, Molly, Caleb, BobG, as well as the guys who made this all possible, Mr Completely and Keewee.
I met plenty of other fine folks there too, who described themselves as lurkers, including Dusty - who made the trip all the way from Tucson by motorcycle - obviously made of sterner stuff than me.
It was also a real treat to meet Alan Gura, and have the opportunity to thank him for all the work he's done - and continues to do - on our behalf. He is one busy guy, so I for one am extremely grateful that he took the time to come hang with us for the weekend, answer all our inane questions and shoot some of the many fine guns available at the range.
The highlight of my weekend was being able to share this experience with my bride. She had originally agreed to go with me, expecting to have a relaxing weekend doing some gambling and hanging out at the pool while I went and did my thing. After the first evening, however, she liked it so much that she accompanied me to every event, and if you've seen the agenda, you'll know that the weekend was just packed - so there was very little spare time for gambling (although we got a few good shots at video poker here and there). To top it off, she wants to find ranges locally to practice shooting steel so she'll be ready for NEXT year!

5 comments:

Gun eTools said...

Great meeting you Kevin, see you next year. Don't practice to much! :)

Kevin Baker said...

It was a pleasure to meet you both, and I'm very glad your wife enjoyed the experience as much as you did!

BobG said...

My wife had a good time also, and enjoyed visiting with you and your wife.

NotClauswitz said...

All I got was to see pictures and try to identify my buds. Glad your wife chose to join-in trather htan lounge - one look for me (down from the window) at the pint-sized Silver Legacy pool convinced me I wasn't going to swim any laps or relax there much! It was elbow-to-elbow crowded with singles carrying cocktails all chatting-up.

NotClauswitz said...

trather thtan...