Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Opinions requested....

I just got a call from the organizer of the flag football league my son is in. For the upcoming season, starting Sept 22nd, they've had no less than four coaches back out.
Obviously, they're desperate for coaches, and he asked me to help out. I have a hunting trip planned for the beginning of October and a trip to Arizona mid-month which means I'd miss 3 weekends out of a 9-10 week season as well as a full weeks practice. I'm having somewhat of a crisis of conscience, wondering if I should back out of the hunting trip (there's no way I'll miss the AZ trip) and take this on? I don't want the kids to miss out, but having a coach that would miss 3 of their games is flat out not fair to them. So - should I back out of the trip and step up, or should I pass, and expect someone else to do it?

5 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

What are the legal responsibilities of a coach these days? Are you covered?

BTW...here is a play you can put in the lineup if you decide to go for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkA3nxuMJoM

FHB said...

I say ditch the games. A hunter's gotta do what a hunter's gotta do. Take the kid with.

FHB said...

And that play was hilarious.

Kevin said...

That was a devious play, Mushy. I came to a compromise - I'll still hunt, but I shortened my trip so that I would miss only 1 practice and I'll be around for all the games. Just found out today that our first game is this Saturday! I called all the parents on the roster and set up a practice for tomorrow, but damn!

phlegmfatale said...

You know, if they are really in a pinch, maybe you could just be the spare white guy and keep your planned schedule, too. If I have it established from the git-go that I have other obligations and that I'm acting only in the spirit of helping out, then I will refuse to be cowed into abandoning my other obligations or into feeling guilty for fulfilling my first arrangements. I know you don't want to disappoint the kids, but at the same time, it's not your fault if these other guys weaseled out. Perhaps you could have an arrangement with someone else who has limited time, that they could do 4 of the weekends and you do 5? That seems a more sensible arrangement, to me.