Friday, February 16, 2007

Work stuff...

When people ask me what I do and I tell them that I'm a chemist, the response is usually something along the lines of "cool", "fascinating" or "interesting"... until I start talking to them about my job for more than, oh, two minutes. That's about when the eyes start to glaze over...
So now I just boil it down to "yeah I test water" and "yeah, the water coming out of your faucet is perfectly safe" and we're done.
Anyway, stepping into geek mode for a moment, I started learning a new test today - SM8141 - analysis of water by GC/MS with NPD. This test has 55 analytes! Thats 55 peaks per chromatogram that I need to integrate! A 7 point calibration means I have to stare at over 350 peaks before I even get to client samples! Maybe cracking a beer will help uncross my eyes...

No comments: