Friday, August 03, 2007

Here's a chuckle...

...Or it would be if it wasn't so true...


 
The Evolution of Teaching Math in America

Math 1950-2006

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for
$1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging
for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket
and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the
nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on
her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to
tell her to just give me two quarters, but she
hailed the manager for help. While he tried to
explain the transaction to her, she stood there and
cried. Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the
1950s:


1. Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His
cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his
profit?


2. Teaching Math In 1960

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His
cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What
is his profit?


3. Teaching Math In 1970

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His
cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?


4. Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His
cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20.
Your assignment: Underline the number 20.


5. Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is
selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the
habitat of animals or the preservation of our
woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit
of $20. What do you think of this way of making a
living? Topic for class participation after
answering the question: How did the birds and
squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes?
(There are no wrong answers )


6. Teaching Math In 2006

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100.
El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha
hecho?


...ripped from an email sent by Nature Chick...


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you'd appreciate that email...your wife thought it was a riot as well :)

Berni said...

So true, that is why I homeschooled, not that math was my best subject but I studied the material before hand to refresh myself and they all graduated.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog