Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Last Sunday

I had the opportunity to take five new shooters to the range, four coworkers and a spouse. Because of time constraints, we only had a couple of hours, but it looked like everyone had a good time.
We had a total of five rifles to try out - I brought four, and one of the newbies brought his newly acquired Mosin Nagant 91/30 to shoot for the first time.
The rifles used were a Ruger 10/22, a Yugo SKS, a Marlin 30/30, and my newest, the STG-58 FAL.
I made sure everyone got to try each rifle, at ranges of 50 to 100 yards. (I also set up a small metal spinning target, which was very disappointing because it did not spin when hit - it just fell over. I'm thinking I'll just have to make my own).
The 22 was a big hit - it has a scope, and of course no recoil - but I think the FAL was quite popular too. Sunday was the first outing for the SKS in quite a while, and I confirmed that it's much easier to load than the FAL. I'm getting better at it though!
All in all, a good time was had... next up will be handguns I expect - I've already had a request...
Although I forgot to bring a camera, one of my coworkers didn't, and if I remember to bring the disk back from work, I'll post some pictures.
All in all, it seemed as though a good time was had. I'm always very happy to take new folks to the range - so much so that I'll spring for the ammo (although not the range fee, I'm afraid). The more people that have this experience, the better for the shooting sports and the Second Amendment in general. Who knows? Maybe somewhere down the line, they may become gun owners themselves. One already has...

On a more sour note, I learned from the rangemaster that my range is being sued. Apparently, a developer bought land to the side and behind the range for condos and wants to shut the range down. The fact that it's been there since 1944 is immaterial I suppose.

5 comments:

none said...

Didn't Cali ban the SKS and FAL as part of their assault weapons law?

I remember reading somewhere about some SKS's being confiscated even after registration.

Kevin said...

DSA makes several models of CA-legal FAL. Since the rifle has a pistol grip, it cannot have a detachable magazine under CA law - so these models have fixed magazines (10 rounds only). SKS is legal, provided the grenade launcher has holes drilled into it - to make a "muzzle brake" - and it has no detachable magazine.

FHB said...

I saw a Cali legal AK once, with a pump action. Funky.

Kevin said...

Yep. CA is a beautiful state, gotta lot going for it; unfortunately, the powers that be here are not real friendly to us gunnies.

phlegmfatale said...

That is ultra-shitty, about the developer suing the long-established range. Your city council people should be involved in protecting the established business. I hope they win, but I confess I'm a bit cynical, too.