Thursday, July 30, 2009

Facebook

My sister introduced me to it at the beginning of the year and showed me how I could get in touch with a bunch of my cousins back in England and Ireland that I hadn't talked to in years. (I mean, I'd heard of facebook before, but wrote it off as some kid's thing).
I have to say, I'm glad I got into it. I've hooked up with a bunch of folks from my high school days, as well as finding one of my very good friends (who happened to be my best man) that I had lost touch with. I'm very thankful to have restored these connections.
There is, however, a downside for me - the sheer volume of information that I'm faced with every time I log in is overwhelming - I have a bazillion "requests" that I haven't been able to keep up with, my infrequent posts seem to get lost in the "noise" of the feed... and I have less than 50 friends on there! It is completely beyond me how someone with hundreds of friends on facebook keeps up.
Hell, I have a hard enough time keeping up this blog.

2 comments:

Brett Senentz said...

Yeah, I have the same issue. You can make custom lists or just choose to be friends with people but then exclude their feeds from your feed list. Personally I only view status updates as I don't care about the survey results, mafia wars, or farmtown. Between some filtering and the ability to check 24/7 with the new iPhone I'm sure you'll get it down.

Christina RN LMT said...

I ignore most of the requests, because I just don't have time to take care of them. I think I'm up to one hundred. :P
I do enjoy the ease of letting a bunch of folks (who DON'T know about my blog) know what's going on with me without having to email everyone.