Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Stars Have Aligned...

It's been a long time since I've posted.
This year has been kind of a downer. Like Mr Baker, I've observed the goings-on in this nation of ours and found precious little positive stuff to blog about.
The news lately isn't any better, to be honest, what with the fight over the debt-limit increase, the Dow on a roller coaster, the riots back in the old country, the downgrade of our credit rating and all that entails, and locally, the beating death of Kelly Thomas by the Fullerton PD.
Over the last few months, I withdrew somewhat and kept my focus a little closer to home, on family, church, work and mountain biking.
I think it's done wonders for my disposition, and probably my blood pressure.
Well, now, I definitely have something positive to blog about. An unforeseen mid-year bonus at work, coupled with an amazing spouse and some really great family help with childcare means that this year, for the very first time, my wife and I will be able to attend the Gun Blogger's Rendezvous!
I just mailed my registration stuff this evening, and will be booking rooms tomorrow at the Silver Legacy.
I haven't been this excited about a trip in YEARS. I've been smiling just about non-stop for the last three days, ever since MY WIFE suggested the trip (I had given up on attending months ago, so for me, it had been out of mind for a while).
Today, we got all of our ducks in a row - time off from work, the in-laws' help with the kids and our dogs, the bonus checks (Yay!) - so it's going to happen!
I am especially looking forward to meeting some of the names I've been reading over the last few years, as they have had a profound influence on my worldview.
The only thing left for me to be concerned with is... what boomsticks should I bring? Suggestions would be most welcome...

2 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Bring the ones you want to shoot! :-)
I like your scout-rifle. :-)
I always get nervous about bringing guns to a semi-unsecured location like a Hotel or hotel-room...I'm just not used to traveling with 'em.

Kevin said...

How do you do it? Aside from hunting, I've never traveled with guns - especially to a hotel.