Thursday, March 22, 2007

300

Twelve days after opening, I got an opportunity to see the movie at last. It was excellent.
The fight scenes were brutal, and as well choreographed as anything I can remember seeing. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in years. I can't believe it was pegged as a low budget movie ("only" $60 million to make).
Sure, there's plenty to quibble about for all the historians out there, but the overall Spartan spirit of honour, courage and sacrifice rings true throughout this movie, and that's what's more important I think.
I love movies like this, because as well as being incredibly entertaining, I think they encourage people to look into the history for themselves, and unlike many events that are glamorized by Hollywood, the true story of the Battle of Thermopylae will definitely not disappoint.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin. Ok, Will has been begging me to see this movie, and I've been secretly waiting to read your review before shelling out $$ to see it in the theater. It sounds worthy enough. I'll post my review on my blog when we get around to watching it :)

Kevin said...

You won't be disappointed. It's definitely worth the movie theater experience. One warning, though; it is pretty darn gory. The majority of the movie is one gruesome fight scene after another. Great stuff. Julie wouldn't see it, because she doesn't dig violence.

Anonymous said...

On second thought, I think I'm with Julie on that. We'll see. Thanks for the heads up.